The beginners course includes both theory as well as a practical session opening and inspecting a beehive.
We cover the following topics:
- History of beekeeping
- Different types of bees – females, males and queens
- Parts of a beehive
- What clothing and equipment do I need?
- Looking after bees in your hive
- What to do during Spring and Summer
- What to do during Autumn and Winter
- Extracting Honey
- Where to get your first bees
- Pests and diseases of the honey bee
- Legal requirements
- Hive Inspection (subject to weather conditions on the day)
- A practical booklet will be provided to course participants
The beginners course has been developed from and is based upon the basic core and elective units of VET Beekeeping Certificate III.
Participants who take part in opening and inspecting a hive will be provided with suitable protective clothing. This will include either a protective overall/jacket and suitable gloves. Participants should wear their own pair of thick long socks and closed footwear.
The course is held with a minimum number of participants. If this number is not reached within one week of the start of the course you will be invited to attend the next course.
In poor weather we may not be able to open and inspect a hive. If this occurs you will be given the opportunity to postpone this activity.
People attending the beginner beekeeping course can purchase The Australian Beekeeping Manual at the reduced price of $40.
The course is run in 2 ways
1) Onsite one day course, OR
2) Online theory and onsite hive inspection
Onsite one day course
The course runs from 10am - 4:30pm on Sundays.
The onsite course includes morning tea, lunch, tea & coffee.
Online theory / onsite hive inspection
Online theory to be delivered in small groups over 2 sessions of 2.5 hours each with separate onsite group hive inspection.
For either of the course styles you may wish to add either of the following
- One on one hive inspection in the Windjana apiary (additional $70)
- If you already have your own hive, a one on one hive inspection of your own hive (additional $90 plus travel @$40/hr)
Dates for the course are listed below.
Note: dates in brackets are for the backup hive inspection date should the weather not be suitable to open the hive on the day of the course